Optimizing Your Company's Social Marketing Mix
Which social media platforms would work best for your home service business? Many marketers either think that they don’t need to put effort into social media because it is not important or they think that they should be on every single platform. Both strategies are incorrect. You should put a lot of effort into a social media strategy, but only into the correct platforms for YOUR business. Facebook is a great start, but it is not the only social platform that is appropriate for marketing.
The answer is, probably not. Facebook is a great start, but it is not the only social platform that is appropriate for marketing. So we are here to tell you about other social media platforms, what they can offer you, and what will work best for your brand.
Which Platform Would Work Best For Your Company?
While a lawyer does not necessarily need to be on Instagram, it could be a lawn care company's most important profile. The difference? A lawyer needs to seem professional and caring, while a lawn care company should promote their fun environment and the perfect stripes they lay down after every mow. People much rather look at the artistry of a well-manicured lawn over a headshot of a lawyer.
To be successful with your social media strategy, put yourself in your ideal customers shoes. What are they doing every day? What do they like to look at when they check their newsfeed? If you can tailor your content to work to the platform's purpose, you may have found your spot!
Benefits Of Each Social Media Platform
The first step to understanding which platform you can use to your advantage is knowing what makes each one special. Facebook is great for a general brand page, but other social media sites offer things that Facebook does not. If you can find one or more of these platforms where your brand will fit in, you can flourish online.
- • It is a great site for interacting with others
- • Many industries are welcomed on Twitter
- • It is more informal than alternatives
- • Hashtags help to spread your content
- • Many industry influencers are on Twitter
- • Great platform for business professionals
- • Great for sharing content that is related to the workplace
- • You can find potential clients on this site--especially for B2B
- • Find great candidates for job openings
- • Gives a very descriptive bio of what your company is about
- • Easy to maintain
- • Trendy items such as drinks, food, clothing, or sports, etc. are popular on Instagram
- • A great way to show the fun side of your company
- • Is an informal social app
- • Almost always used on mobile, so you are literally at a user’s fingertips
- • Users can buy items straight from the platform
- • There are industry and lifestyle influencers on Instagram
- • Hashtags help spread your content
- • Show your content through pictures versus telling through text
- • You can identify with people at a personal level
- • Geofilters can be used on people’s photos and then sent out to millions which is great for brand awareness
- • It is a great way to get the behind the scenes personality of your company out to users
- • Great for sharing blogs and pictures
- • Sends links directly back to your website without it being an obvious sale
- • The demographic is mostly women on this site
- • Once a pin takes off, it can go viral quickly
- • Users don't have to be following you to see your pins
- • A platform where users are very open about their goals & desires
- • Primarily for home design, decorating and remodeling ideas and/or services
- • Users can share your pictures to their personal boards
- • There is a business listing that people can search through for services they need
- • Users can give reviews
- • Opportunities for awards on your company page if you have a great profile
- • Users can ask questions about your product right on the photo
- • People look for news, tips, or funny things
- • Is great for controversial topics
- • There are up votes and down votes so that users can judge your content-- if you have good content it will likely get more views
- • Video hosting platform
- • Can share videos and follow other channels
- • Welcomes almost any industry
- • Shares information in a different way than text
- • Great for evergreen content that will be used for years to come
- • Necessary for many companies but especially those in a service-based industry
- • Users can leave reviews
- • Shares location and information about business
- • Perfect for sharing pictures of the company and the company's work
- • Easy to maintain
The Next Steps
Once you have found social media platforms where you think your company will flourish, it is time to come up with a strategy for each one. It is important that each strategy is tailored to the specific platform. Anyone can come up with content and put it on every single site, but that is not the way to be successful.
Need help developing your social media strategy?